22 November 2009
1. Remove all the photos from your albums especially “sticky” ones. If you have trouble doing this, try applying some heat, such as a hair dryer (held 12cm away from page) or dental floss. If any photos have deteriorated badly, scan and/or reprint them. I know this sounds drastic, but it's necessary - the acid in the adhesive in these albums eats photos, makes them yellow, etc etc.
2. Keep all your photos together, ideally in a small box with dividers. (Checkout SU!'s Forget-Me-Not Keeper, click here to see the one I decorated.) If collating all your photos at once is too daunting, try doing the last decade, or a particular event/individual first.
3. Sort your photos the way you plan to do your albums, i.e. chronologically, theme, individuals, etc. For hardcopy photos which you don’t want to scrapbook (for whatever reason!) but want to keep, either put in a non-sticky album, or scan them into computer and save with your regular photos, then discard original if you wish (making sure you still have negative though).
TIP - Store memorabilia with your photos too. Anything that is no thicker than a coin can be stuck to your pages such as lock of baby hair, restaurant menus, postcards, theatre tickets, foreign money, birthday cards, invitations, certificates, school reports, recipes, calf club ribbons, etc.
4. Previously photos were always kept in hardcopy and negative form. Make sure digital photos are stored in at least 2 different ways also, i.e. memory card, hard drive, memory stick, CD, hardcopy. Keep 1 copy separate from your photos, i.e. store them in a different room or even at a friends house.
5. Get into the habit of regularly printing the photos you wish to scrapbook (i.e. every 3 months so that memories for journaling are fresh in your mind), sort them into your album(s) and scrap these first before moving back in history. We don't have a photo processing shop in Paeroa (other than the chemist which sends them away, or standing at the Kiosk which I don't have time to do!) so I upload my photos to Frogprints and they post them out to me. For photos from digital cameras, 5 x 3 3/4“ is a good size for scrapbooking (or 6 x 4½“), if you print them out 6x4 size, you are actually loosing ¼” top and bottom due to the ratio which digital cameras use. See here for further info on this.
TIP - A good free photo editing programme is Picasa (www.picasa.com). Use it to crop, fix red-eye, retouch, lighten/darken, make b&w/sepia, etc.
21 November 2009
Stamps: Priceless, A Holly Jolly Christmas
Cardstock: Real Red, Whisper White, Basic Black
Ink: Versamark, Basic Black
Accessories: 1/4" Whisper White Grosgrain Ribbon, Crop-a-dile, Large Oval Punch, Scallop Oval Punch, Gold Embossing Powder, Heat Tool
20 November 2009
Here's the project which Ria (Qrafty Queen) demonstrated. It is a Christmas decoration, made by folding pieces of 4x4 DSP, but can also be used as a gift tag too! This is in it's closed state:
And then opened to hang on the tree:
Stamps: Punches Three
Cardstock: Old Olive, Ruby Red, Whisper White, Holiday Treasures DSP
Ink: Old Olive, Ruby Red
Accessories: Scallop Square Punch, 1" Circle Punch, Crop-a-dile, Gold Brads, Gold Thread, Dazzling Diamonds
19 November 2009
18 November 2009
Would you like to make Christmas cards this year and support Kindy at the same time?
Then come along on Thursday 26 November at and enjoy an evening of creativity using stamps, punches and designer paper while getting to know other mums at the same time!
I will design 4 cards and along with gift tags, you can make as many as you like.
Cost = $5 to register (this money goes to Kindy)
Cards = $2 each, Gift Tags = 5 for $2 (pay on the night)
RSVP 24 Nov 2009
17 November 2009
Well I have now finished decorating it with photos of my daughter and here's the final product:
A little album like this would make a wonderful Christmas present. I can just imagine one sitting on my grandmother's mantle!
Cardstock: Pumpkin Pie, So Saffron, Riding Hood Red, Washington Apple DSP
Accessories: So Saffron 5/8" Grosgrain Ribbon, Scallop Circle Punch, 5-Petal Flower Punch, Boho Blossoms Punch, Rhinestone Brads, Velcro, Jumbo Eyelets, Silver Brads (which hold the accordian album in the back!), White Gel Pen, Small Tag Punch, Horizontal Slot Punch
16 November 2009
I cased the layout for this page from Sharlene Torres in New Plymouth.
I had to laugh though, not all the ladies were interested in scrapbooking. In fact there was at least 8 out the 50 that made cards with the supplies provided! Oh well, better luck next time!
Stamps: Frames with a Flourish, Lovely Letters Alphabet, Life Definitions, A Holly Jolly Christmas Cardstock: Basic Black, Real Red, Baja Breeze, Ski Slope DSP Ink: Real Red, Baja Breeze Accessories: Eyelet Border Punch, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Scallop Circle/Square Punches (to cut the corners off the frame)
15 November 2009
14 November 2009
Stamps: Baroque Motifs
Cardstock: Green Galore. Yo Yo Yellow, Pink Passion
Ink: Basic Grey, Versamark
Accessories: Heat Tool, Silver Embossing Powder, Powder Pal, Small Cellophane Bag, Linen Thread, Boho Blossoms Punch, Large Oval Punch, Scallop Oval Punch, Rhinestone Brad
13 November 2009
Stamps: Live Like You Mean It
Cardstock: Pumpkin Pie, Wild Wasabi (Retired In-Colour)
Accessories: Stapler, Pumpkin Pie 1/2" Striped Grosgrain Ribbon, Crew Kids - Boy Simply Scrappin' Kit (Retired)
12 November 2009
Stamps: Big Bold Birthday
Cardstock: Whisper White, Bravo Burgundy, Rose Red, Patterns Pack II (Hostess)
Ink: Bravo Burgundy
Accessories: Small Tag Punch, Pretties Kit
11 November 2009
A reindeer lineup from Rhonda Fawcett:Stamps: Winter Post, Short & Sweet
Cardstock: Whisper White, Going Grey, Basic Black, Bashful Blue
Ink: Basic Black, Whisper White Craft
Accessories: Boho Blossoms Punch, Bazzling Diamonds
A easel card from Bev Poultney:
Stamps: Flight of the Butterfly, Oval All, Pocket Silhouettes
Cardstock: Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, Taken with Teal, Certainly Celery
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Green Galore, Taken with Teal, Versamark
Accessories: Oval Punch, Scallop Oval Punch, Embossing Buddy, Heat Gun, White Embossing Powder, Dimensionals, Crimper
Pun Fun Flap Card by Delys Cram:
Stamps: Pun Fun
Cardstock: Tempting Turquoise, Real Red, Pumpkin Pie, Whisper White
Ink: Real Red
Accessories: Real Red 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon, Mat Pack, Dimensionals, White Gel Pen, Magnet
Matching Napkin Ring and Place Setting by Natasha Lipsey
Stamps: Totally Tabs, Season of Joy
Cardstock: Whisper White, Sage Shadow, Blush Blossom
Ink: Sage Shadow, Bashful Blue, Close to Cocoa, Versamark
Accessories: 1 1/4" Circle, Round Tab, Scallop Edge and Scallop Circle Punches
Angel/Fairy Tag or Decoration using Punches from Colleen Bawden:
Stamps: Spotlight on Christmas
Cardstock: Pink Pirouette, Riding Hood Red, Riding Hood Red DSP
Ink: Riding Hood Red
Accessories: 3/4" Circle Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, 5-Petal Flower Punch, Small Cellophane Bag, Linen Thread, Dazzling Diamonds, 2-Way Glue Pen
And the last one is:
Not sure which wonderful lady made this one, but it's using the Always stamps set in lovely purple tones.
10 November 2009
A Tea-Bag Gift Holder by Richelle Phillips:Stamps: Sincere Salutations, Seasons of Joy, Life Definitions
Cardstock: Red Riding Hood, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip DSP, Holiday Treasures, Bella Rose
Ink: Close to Cocoa, Red Riding Hood
Accessories: Red Riding Hood/Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon, Vintage Brads, 5-Petal Flower Punch, Rounded Tab Punch, Sponge Daubers
Bag Topper by Juliette Riddell:
Stamps: Punches Three (Hostess)
Cardstock: Whisper White, Baja Breeze, Ski Slope DSP
Ink: Baja Breeze, Real Red
Accessories: Scallop Square Punch, Cellophane Bag Med, Dimensionals
Santa Treat Box by Karen Williamson:
Cardstock: Real Red, Whisper White, Basic Black, Brushed Silver
Accessories: Scallop Edge, 1/4 Circle, Round Tab, Horizontal Slot Punches, Black Gingham
And last but not least:
I can't remember the name of the creator, but she did tell me how you make this treat holder. It's a piece of 6x6 DSP, folded in half, the sides folded in, then the front folded down. Cute eh?
09 November 2009
The template can be found here. I printed the template directly onto the DSP then cut out. The only addition was another strip of DSP, punched with the Eyelet Border Punch then put through the crimper.
Cardstock: Raspberry Tart DSP
Accessories: Hodgepodge Hardware, Bravo Burgundy 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon, Silver Eyelets, Velcro, Sticky Strip
08 November 2009
Stamps: Life Definitions, Priceless
Cardstock: Whisper White, Brocade Blue, Patterns Pack II (Hostess)
Ink: Brocade Blue, Bravo Burgundy
Accessories: Bravo Burgundy 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon, White Gel Pen
This one, made by Kirsty Walley, was hard to photograph as it's got acetate for the base but it's definately on my to-do list to try:Stamps: Season of Joy
Cardstock: Whisper White, Certainly Celery, Mellow Moss, Acetate
Ink: Certainly Celery, StazOn Opaque
Accessories: 1/4" Certainly Celery Grosgrain Ribbon, Glue Dots
Stamps: Priceless, Bugs & Kisses
Cardstock: Sahara Sand, Whisper White, Windsor Knot DSP
Ink: So Saffron, Old Olive, Sahara Sand
Accessories: Crystal Effects, 2-Way Glue Pen, Dazzling Diamonds, 1/4" Very Vanilla Grosgrain Ribbon
Stamps: Upsy Daisy
Cardstock: Barely Banana, Basic Gray, Urban Garden DSP
Ink: Basic Gray, Barely Banana
Accessories: Oval Scallop Punch, Basic Gray Taffeta Ribbon
Stamps: Inspired by Nature, Sincere Salutations
Cardstock: Elegant Eggplant, Pale Plum, Whisper White
Ink: Elegant Eggplant, Pale Plum, Certainly Celery, Old Olive
Accessories: Wide Oval Punch, 1/4" Elegant Eggplant Grosgrain Ribbon
07 November 2009
Cardstock: Pumpkin Pie, So Saffron, Washington Apple DSP
Accessories: So Saffron 5/8" Grosgrain Ribbon, Scallop Circle Punch, 5-Petal Flower Punch, Boho Blossoms Punch, Rhinestone Brad, Velcro, Jumbo Eyelets, Silver Brads (which are in the back!)
06 November 2009
Stamps: A Holly Jolly Christmas
Cardstock: Whisper White, Real Red, Glorious Green.
Ink: Basic Black, Yoyo Yellow, Real Red
Accessories: Tag Punch, Small Tag Punch, Crop-a-dile, Linen Thread
05 November 2009
Either of these punches would make a fantastic addition to your papercrafting tools. Check out the guide here.
04 November 2009
Cardstock: Whisper White, Real Red, Raspberry Tart DSP
Ink: Whisper White Craft, Real Red, Cameo Coral
Accessories: Scallop Border Punch, Scallop Square Punch, Boho Blossoms Punch, 5-Petal Flower Punch, Rhinestone Brads, Real Red 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon
03 November 2009
It was super quick with punches, ribbon and rhinestone brads.
These Forget-Me-Not Keepers come with 12 dividers and the 3 main ideas for using them are:
1. Photo storage - use dividers for themes or dates
2. Card storage - use dividers to sort the cards you make into themes, i.e. birthday, Christmas, etc.
3. Card storage - because there are 12 dividers, make each one a month of the year and when you make cards for birthdays and other events, pop them in the month that they are needed!
I think that last idea is pretty cool myself!
The Forget-Me-Not Keeper is $26.50, contact me today to order one.
Cardstock: Tea Party Designer Paper
Accessories: Certainly Celery 5/8" Poly-Twill Ribbon, 1 1/4" Circle Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, Boho Blossoms Punch, 5-Petal Flower Punch, Rhinestone Brads